World Refugee Day 2016
Monday, June 20th, on the UN’s declared World Refugee Day, there are over 50 million refugees around the world. Many of them are women and children, struggling to survive after fleeing their homes amidst conflict, famine, and natural disasters.
The Washington Post reports, "Just a year after the number of refugees, asylum-seekers and people forced to flee within their own countries surpassed 50 million for the first time since World War II, it surged to nearly 60 million in 2014 — 'a nation of the displaced' that is roughly equal to the population of the United Kingdom."
Facts on the Syrian Crisis:
- This war is affecting vast numbers of children, changing the course of entire generations.
- 13.5 million people in Syria are in need of humanitarian assistance.
- Children are rapidly becoming malnourished and sick.
- Children and families are in need of basic hygiene supplies as well as antibiotics and other essential medicines.
MAP International has been actively involved in refugee crises around the world for over 30 years. Currently our teams are focused on providing medical aid and relief supplies to refugees fleeing Syria who are now displaced in Jordan and Armenia. In the last 12 months, MAP has provided over $1 million in aid to refugees in the Syrian conflict through our field partners.
Just last month, MAP airlifted $152,000 worth of vital relief aid to The Armenia Artsakh Fund, contributing to their medical aid efforts to all medical centers in Armenia and Artsakh.
So this World Refugee Day, we ask that you stand #WithRefugees around the world and give them a hope for the future – through health. Leaving the sanctity of their homes, they’re facing so many trials. But you and I can help them overcome at least two. We can provide them with health and hope through medical aid. Simple antibiotics will stop infections, saving countless lives. Oral Rehydration Salts can save the life of a young child before dehydration becomes too severe.
How can you help Syrian refugees in Armenia and Jordan?
- Pray with us. Send your prayers for Syrian refugees to firstname.lastname@example.org today.
- Spread the word about the crisis on social media with the #MAPWithRefugees.
- Donate today and provide lifesaving medicines and medical supplies. Donate now.