In 1954, the late J. Raymond Knighton answered a call in his tiny office at the Christian Medical Society in Chicago. Ray had a reputation for knowing “every medical missionary in the world,” so when a major pharmaceutical company wanted to donate $25,000 in surplus medicines, they knew just who to call.
Ray and his secretary spent three months distributing 11 tons of medicines where they were needed most. So began the Medical Assistance Programs (MAP)– a faith based nonprofit providing essential medicines for mission clinics and hospitals in developing countries around the world.
In 1985, MAP moved from the Chicago area to Georgia’s Atlantic coast to position itself closer to the ports of Savannah, Brunswick, and Jacksonville. In 2008, MAP moved into a new energy efficient facility to expand its distribution capabilities to reach those in most need.
Since 1954 MAP has delivered over $5 billion in medicines and medical supplies to partners, mission hospitals, clinics, and medical mission teams. Shipping to more than 100 countries each year. MAP has extended its focus to promote community health development and prevention of disease through offices in eight countries. (Bolivia, Cote d'Ivoire, Ecuador, Ghana, Indonesia, Kenya, Liberia, and Uganda)